With the support of the Rogers Youth Fund and Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada, Rogers Raising the Grade, aims at increasing academic skills, high school graduation rates and access to post-secondary education for at-risk youth from a select group of Boys and Girls Clubs across the country. Rogers Raising the Grade provides youth with the skills, tools and opportunities necessary to excel academically and secure their future success as productive, independent and contributing members of society. It is an interactive after-school program that allows youth to explore their personal interests, receive homework support, connect with mentors and/or tutors, interact with peers, increase their digital literacy and plan for post-secondary education.
A key component to this program is matching youth with qualified, dedicated adult volunteer mentors who meet with them on a weekly basis to support them in the program and with their school work. We are in need of a volunteer with a wide network and circle of reach to help us recruit mentors for this rewarding position.
- Attend training and visit program to gain an understanding of program needs and responsibilities of volunteer mentors.
- Promote volunteer mentor position to colleagues, friends, social and business contacts
- Use email, social media, in person talks, and social events to spread the word about the program
- Connect potential volunteers with Program Coordinator at St. Alban’s
Skills and Qualifications
- You have a connection to a wide circle of people who may be interested in community volunteer work in Annex area.
- Able to access large groups of people in order to promote volunteer position opportunities (clubs, organizations, workplace, gym, school)
- Able to reach out on social media, online to reach network of people who may be interested in this type of volunteer work
- Comfort asking for opportunities to speak in groups, promoting program to peers, handing out information brochures and posting flyers.
- Creative self starter
- Ability to work as a team with the Program Coordinator and mentors to facilitate learning, growth and opportunity for participants
- Boys and Girls Club experience is an asset
Volunteer recruiters make a commitment until the end of the school year. Hours and days are self-determined.
Locations: 843 Palmerston Avenue (our main location for training and program visits) – but most of the work would be done in your own workplace, environment, home, community.
For more information or to apply, please contact:
Cindy Nguyen, Rogers Raising the Grade Program Coordinator