Raise the Grade supported by RBC aims at increasing academic skills, high school graduation rates and access to post-secondary education for at-risk youth from a select group of Boys and Girls Clubs across the country. Raise the Grade provides youth with the skills, tools and opportunities necessary to excel academically and secure their future success as productive, independent and contributing members of society. It is an interactive after-school program that allows youth to explore their personal interests, receive homework support, connect with mentors and/or tutors, interact with peers, increase their digital literacy and plan for post-secondary education.
A key component to this program is matching youth with qualified, dedicated adult volunteer mentors who meet with them on a weekly basis to support them in the program and with their school work.
- Meet weekly one-on-one with a high school student in need of academic support
- Meet with Program Coordinator on weekly basis
- Work as a team with other mentors and Club staff
Skills and Qualifications
- Post secondary level education
- Familiarly and knowledge of post secondary application process in Ontario
- Ability to research and assist in application process for scholarships for post secondary students
- Able to assist in all areas of secondary school academics
- Patient and commitment to being a reliable role model for a young person
- Boys and Girls Club experience is an asset
- Ability to work as a team with the Program Coordinator and mentors to facilitate learning, growth and opportunity for participants
Volunteer mentors make a commitment until the end of the school year, and ideally until the youth they are matched with graduates from high school.
Location: 843 Palmerston Avenue (St. Alban’s Main Clubhouse) OR 308B Grandravine Drive (Jane and Finch Youth Centre)
For more information or to apply:
Cindy Nguyen, Raise the Grade Program Coordinator