Enter by May 10 2019 to be eligible to win!
The objective of this contest will be to promote song writing and recording at St. Albans Boys and Girls Club (“the Club”).
- Contestants must a member(s) of the Club and attending any of the Club’s sites.
- Contestants must be 25 year of age or under.
- The songs submitted must be recorded and mastered at the recording studio at the Club’s Palmerston Avenue location. Competitors are responsible for arranging their recording times.
- The songs can be written, recorded and mastered by an individual or a group.
- Each individual or group can submit a maximum of 2 songs.
- Must be original.
- Must have vocal and instrumental components.
- Can be in any genre or style.
- Should be 4 minutes in length or less.
- Must not contain any sampling.
- Must not contain obscene or offensive lyrics.
How To Enter:
- Contact Jo’el Douglas at email@example.com, and book a time to record your song. Jo’el will work with you to ensure you complete your song and provide Anna Sturino with a with a digital copy of the song, (MP3 or on a sound cloud link) by the closing date of the competition.
- The entry must contain the person or group’s name(s), phone number(s) and date(s) of birth.
- Judging will be done by judges selected by the Club.
- All decisions of the judges will be final.
- Any songs that do not adhere to the rules will be disqualified.
- Originality (20%)
- How original is the song idea?
- How fresh is the approach?
- Would it stand out from others with similar themes?
- Appeal (30%)
- Is the song memorable?
- Are the lyrics, melody, harmony and/or rhythm infectious?
- Is there a strong lyrical or instrumental hook(s)?
- Is the hook(s) effectively placed for impact?
- Focus (30%)
- Is there a story, characters – are they consistent, do they progress?
- Do the verses set up the chorus?
- Does the chorus conclude?
- Are the lyrics compact and concisely written?
- Form (10%)
- Is there consistent structure (verse and if applicable, chorus) placement?
- Phrasing/Cadence (10%)
- Do the melody/lyrics sing/play well?
- The competition will open to submissions on April 1, 2019.
- The competition will close to submissions at 5:00 PM on May 10, 2019.
- The prize will be awarded at STARS Year End Showcase in June 2019.
- After the STARS showcase, contestants can request a verbal critique to further hone their song-writing skills , if desired
- The prize for the winning song will be $100.
- If the winning song is entered by a group, the prize will be divided evenly amongst the members of the group.
- The top 3 winning songs will be featured on the Club’s website.